GRPS is committed to the health and well-being of our students, staff, families, and community, and want to provide you with information on the recent outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19). We are doing everything possible to prevent the spread of Coronavirus and other communicable diseases. Please understand that this is a rapidly evolving situation and we will continue to communicate with you as information changes.
Governor Whitmer issued an executive order for schools to close for the remainder of the school year to ensure the continued safety of students, families, staff, and volunteers as this contagious virus continues to spread and threaten the health of us all. Please stay tuned for additional updates.
Grand Rapids Public Schools works with the Kent County Health Department to adhere to the Michigan Public Health Code (Act 368 of 1978 as amended), the School Code of 1976 (Act 451 of 1976 as Amended), and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services guidelines for the prevention, control, and containment of communicable diseases in schools.
As outlined in Board policy, Grand Rapids Public Schools will exclude a student from school who is suspected of having a communicable disease or infection and is considered a health threat to the school population as defined by law and related rules.
As always, encourage your student(s) to practice hand hygiene. Best practices for helping prevent the spread of disease and illness include:
- Stay home when you are sick. If possible, stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick. You will help prevent others from catching your illness. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Cover coughs and sneezes. Use a tissue to cover coughs and sneezes, then dispose of the tissue. When a tissue is not available, cough or sneeze into your elbow.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces or objects. Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces at home, work or school, especially when someone is ill. Find additional CDC resources on how to clean and disinfect schools here: cdc.gov/flu/school/cleaning.htm
- Wash hands for 20 seconds. Washing hands often under clean, running water can help prevent the spread of germs. For more guidance see the CDC: When and How to Wash Your Hands. If you cannot wash your hands, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60-95% alcohol.
GRPS will continue to follow the guidelines of the CDC, MDHHS, and KCHD surrounding communicable diseases.
Additional resources can be found at grps.org/coronavirus.