GRPS’ Department of Equity and Inclusion published this wonderful newsletter to bring attention to the many celebrations and observances taking place this month!
September holds many historical events that are full of significance for people represented in our diverse nation, thus impacting our culture. Here are just a few. Invite conversations, do more investigation, and continue your journey to cultural competence! You can visit HistoryPlace.com for more.
- The First Continental Congress assembled in Philadelphia
- The establishment of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam
- Alabama Governor George Wallace forcibly halted public school integration
- The Treaty of Paris was signed
- The worst terrorist attach in U.S history occurred in 2001
- Mexico’s break from Spain began in the town of Dolores Hidalgo
- Chile declared its independence from Spain after 269 years as a colony
- President Dwight Eisenhower ordered the National Guard to enforce racial integration of schools in Little Rock, Arkansas.