Curriculum Guide for GRPS Families
Grand Rapids Public Schools’ Curriculum Guide shares important information about academic preparation for students in grades 9-12. For information about graduation requirements, college and career readiness, scheduling, and much more, refer to the 2021-2022 Curriculum Guide by following this link.
GRPS Parent Toolkit
The following resources can be found in the GRPS Parent Toolkit under the ELA, or English Language Arts, section. For more information, please follow this link.
- Common Core State Standards Parent Document
- What is Common Core?
Family Engagement Toolkit
- Michigan Department of Education
- GRPS Parent University
- Road Maps for Supporting Your Child in English Language Arts K-12
- Common Core Smarter Balanced Word List 3-5, 6-8, 9-11
- Dolch Words -flash cards K-3
- Dolch words – list K-3
- Vocabulary list by Measurement of Academic Progress (MAP) RIT score
Reading Tips and Activities for Parents
- US Department of Education
- Helping your child with reading comprehension
- Reading activities to use with students: Florida Center for Reading Research
- Phonemic Awareness activities for four, five, and six year olds
- Phonemic Awareness Activities for six and seven year olds
- Grand Rapids Public Library and the databases
- Link To Overdrive
- Symbaloo to help struggling readers
- SAT Test Prep
- SAT College Board
- A Parent Guide to taking the M-STEP assessment.
- M-Step Test Prep
- Mi-Access Test Prep
- MEL’s Free ACT and SAT online prep courses are available through the State of Michigan Library called MEL. Click on Tests and Tutorials and then click on College Preparation
- Numbers2.com is a free website with online test preparation courses.
- Bibliographer maker
- Thesis Statement
- Thesis Information
- How to Write an Introduction or How to write an Introduction
- How to Write a conclusion:
- Planning your paper
- Creating an Outline
- MLA Format