The road to literacy
How does anyone learn to read? It may seem like a mystery, but it starts with seven basic steps.
- Learn to say ABCs
- Learn to name all letters
- Learn the sound for each letter
- Put two sounds together: GO, SO, SEE
- Put three sounds together: CAT, HAT, SAM, HAM
- Put more sounds together: THAT, STOP, HERE, THERE
- Put words together: THAT SAM I AM, I DO NOT LIKE GREEN EGGS AND HAM
The Fry Sight Word List is a list of words that are used most often in the English language. When young readers can instantly recognize these high frequency words, they become strong readers.
For gifts, think about board games that help children learn while they have fun playing.