This guide provides information and strategies you can use to help your child be a good online digital citizen. This will help your child be safe when learning online and so that you can recognize when behaviors are inappropriate.
Strategies You Can Use to Support Your Child
- Positively reinforce why it is important to act appropriately and be productive when using technology.
- Designate a quiet, comfortable space, free from distractions, for your child to work.
- Designate specific blocks of time for free time around your child’s learning schedule.
- Monitor your child’s online activities – verify (s)he is staying on task and not being distracted.
- Limit your child’s access to social media, especially when you are not able to monitor their activity.
- Consider using built-in monitoring features for iPhone and Android devices.
- Talk to your child about a digital footprint and what it means once something is published.
- Frequently ask your child questions about their learning, like:
- “How was school today?”
- “What did your teacher teach you today?”
- “What did you learn today?”
- “What was your best work from today?”
- “Are there any assignments you need help with?”
- “Who did you see today in class?”
- Contact the teacher if your child is confused or needs help with an assignment.
- You know your child best! Set rules for your child to follow to do their best work.